- Herbed/Hashed Chicken & Biscuits -
This is one of my favorite comfort foods. It's a bit like a reverse chicken "pot" pie (that recipe is coming soon). And like most chicken, and the herbs that go well with it, it all goes great with canna.
Remember, these are suggested doses: this is an 8 - 10 person/servings dish, usually it’s a small side to a larger meal, but if you plan on just splitting the whole thing with only two or three people, or if you want two biscuits per serving instead of one, adjust the hash or herb content accordingly.
Does anyone remember that episode of Garfield, where the old granny has some special, secret recipe for tomato sauce, and an evil business man wants to steal it so he can mass-produce it, but he never could quite get it to come out the way granny made it based on the ingredients and quantities the granny gave him? (There's a point to this story, I promise!)
Well, I'm like that granny. Only much younger and more dazzling (... Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) ).
I've been cooking and baking for years, I don't use measuring cups or recipe books, it is all done from scratch and by hand (I grow pretty much the same way, my pH and EC meters are almost just there for looks).
These recipes are roughly what I use, and as close to the measured ingredients as I can guess.
To infuse your oils, just follow the recipes given for the Caps (hash), and Bombs (herb) Smilie
You will need:
- Pan, frying
- A large deep oven safe pot, or pan, at least 13 - 14” long, 3.5 inches high
(I prefer a round, deep broiling pot, about 12” in diameter and 7-8” deep)
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed, or cut into about 8-9 larger pieces (or one piece per biscuit).
- selection of herbs, your choice
For the Biscuits:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tbsp infused lard, made with 1+ grams hash, or 3+ grams of herb.
- ½ cup butter milk, or milk.. add more if needed, but you want them slightly drier
than your normal biscuits.
For the Gravy:
1 ½ Tbsp flour
1 - 2 Tbsp hash or herb butter, using 1+ grams hash, or 3+ grams herb + 1Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp regular butter
½ cup cream
1 ½ cups water
1 ½ teaspoon chicken bullion
½ tsp Thyme
¼ tsp black pepper, or ground grains of paradise
½ teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice
optional, small amounts of: diced onion, celery, carrot (cook with chicken).
For the Base:
You have two options: Potatoes (either cubed or mashed), or Stuffing Smilie
Prepare somewhat dry mashed potatoes with 2 Tbsp (infused) butter, or cubed, boiled potatoes. Spread or arrange along the base of your pan.
After laying 3 cups of dry cubed stuffing in the bottom of your pan (I like Pepperidge Farms brand, if in a rush), drizzle with 4 Tbsp (infused) butter. If using stuffing, add and extra 1/3 cup water to your gravy mix.
note- You can opt out of infusing this, or any of these steps, if you like. You can concentrate your canna in any one portion, or all three.. if you know you won’t be eating much gravy for instance, put more herb in your biscuits.
- Using a large pan gently fry your chicken, and optional veggies, with a little oil, chicken salt and your favorite herbs and seasonings (marjoram, parsley, rosemary, sage, garlic etc), just enough to heat the chicken well, and cook the edges, but the center you want to remain under-done for now, so when it cooks later, it doesn’t dry out too much during the oven portion of the process.
- In a separate bowl, blend, then add the ingredients for your gravy to the pan of chicken,
gently simmer for 5 minutes, cover it all with foil, and set aside.
- Preheat oven at 365 f
- Blend the ingredients for your biscuits, set aside.
- Layer the base of your broiling pot or baking pan with either your potato, or stuffing.
- Now, pour and arrange your gravy and chicken pieces evenly over the base.
- By the heaping teaspoon, form rough round shapes with your biscuit dough, and plop
them into the gravy, between one and two inches apart (they will swell up as they cook)
- Put in the oven, uncovered, and bake for 13 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits
turn golden brown.
Remove from oven, allow to sit for 5 minutes, serve, and enjoy